How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6461
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am a home owner, but now live in a rented disabled house

Customer Question

hi I am a home owner, but now live in a rented disabled house with my husband who is disabled, the housing association sent me a letter saying I did not inform them of change of circumstances , when we took possession of the rented property, meaning I should have told them we had a bought house, it does say that on the application, but being that we bought the house from them they already know but now they are say under the new legislation act they should not have housed us because we owned our house but we did inform them plus they knew bearing in mind we bought it from them, and we moved into disabled property two yrs ago both of us firmly believe this is a which hunt to remove us from our home, just because I had a dispute with the Director and at my husband and myself are both pensioners and at our wits end and my husband is severely disabled is there a way out of this . Pats.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: housing issues
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to keep living in my rented property, I dont want to be evicted
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did you fail to tell them? Is it a breach of your tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we did not fail to tell them we told them before we signed for tenancy we asked should we be entitled to this as we have a bought house they said yes as the new act was not passed yet, why should we be punished for there failing
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

So your Landlord told you it was ok, is that right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely she did why have they waited two yes to raise this its shocking .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Sure. What is it you have had, a notice to quit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No a letter telling me to come to office on Monday as they are saying on letter under the transfer system on the date despite the fact that you were both at the time home owners.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

OK - then you need to explain what has happened. You cant lose your home if they said it was ok.

If there is any issue you should complain to the Chief Executive of the Association.

They will investigate your complaint. If that does not resolve it then you can complain to the Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service at:

They should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the director that's making all the noise but doing it through a committee who got in consultancy to carry out the investigation. Surly it should be the housing officers failing for not checking all this out b4 the offer she has added a few other issues that are absolutely absurb. And can answer no problem.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Indeed, that is exactly right.
This is why you may need to take it to the Chief Executive and/or the Ombudsman

They can not treat you in this appalling way.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very helpful you just put me at ease a little bit more as I am so stressed thank you so much for your advice .
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.