How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11949
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a flat with 100odd year lease. I pay ground rent,

This answer was rated:

I have a flat with 100odd year lease. I pay ground rent, maintenance and insurance annually. Recently the freeholder had to remove my fence and decked area to carry out maintenance on the roof downstairs. They now refuse to replace saying it's not their job. They removed in first place.
Surely this isn't right?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis are they possibly refusing please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a roof garden. The roof area under my decking needed resurfacing. The freeholder asked my permission to lift decking and remove fence to do this. Work is now complete and I've asked when they're going to put back what they moved and they said it's not their job but mind.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok.You need to get a cost to get it replaced. They took it away, they should resinate it. This forms your loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I thought this was the case. I will get a quote and send it to them.Thank you.

Indeed. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. Thank you.