Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Unfortunately we have a problem with our neighbours. When we

Unfortunately we have a problem with our neighbours.
When we were on speaking terms an electrical meter was installed within our property on our boundary but on the side wall of the garage belonging to our neighbour, in fact we paid for it but we have nothing to back that up.
The electrical arrangements have now changed making the old meter and associated cables redundant.
Unfortunately our neighbours are not in agreement with the new arrangement but from our perspective that's too bad , they have caused nothing but misery to our family ( he was arrested for harassment against us ), as a result they are refusing to terminate the power and have written to us saying they will regard it as criminal damage if we touch it ( we can't anyway , the cable is live)
damaging their garage wall.
Question Is there anything we can do to a/ make them turn the power off and b/ let us remove it? We have offered them the use of our electrician at our cost to effect its removal .
It seams crazy as the whole thing sites within our property but attached to their garage!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know it's a long Rambling story but here goes ...
My wife and I wish to establish whether there is a legal way we can force our neighbours to switch of the power to a electrical meter and external plug , which is situated within our property , on our boundary but attached to the wall of their garage, at which point we wish to have it removed .
The meter and power cables are now redundant, but our neighbours are refusing to turn it off , with the power still on our electrician can't touch it.
We wish to have it removed as we feel it represents a health and safety issue for the future - also it's an eyesaw and we simply don't want it there .
They want it to remain in its position although it is now redundant, they are annoyed because they have recently lost an argument over the use of the power supply, now they are digging their heels in to make this into a greater dispute than it needs to be .
They say they will regard it as criminal damage if we remove it however we paid for it in the first place ( when we were talking ) and they were fully in agreement to it being attached to their wall.
In addition we have it in writing from them that it should be removed but the details of that argument were such that they could lord it over us and totally dominate us , something which we are unable to accept.
I hope that's clear , unfortunately it's a very long story .
Ps I hope this dialogue isn't being published.

Has anyone actually declared it is dangerous?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, at present its safe, however we don't want a redundant power cable safe or not
at the bottom of the garden.

indeed. Unless it is deemed as unsafe it's going to be hard to get it moved. You were content with it being there until now so that is why unless it's a danger you may not be able to get it moved.

However you can get a local solicitor to write to them and say you want it removed or say you will go to court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings using form below

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/n1-eng.pdf

The court will set the matter down for hearing and decide whether to make an order. If the court does and they break it this could be contempt of court which they may be warned, fined or sent to prison.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , I guessed as much , thank you for your help.