How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11951
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have got a 4 bed property in Ashford, Middlesex, which I

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir,
I have got a 4 bed property in Ashford, Middlesex, which I have rented to the Council Tenants. There is AST in place for 12 months.
Recently, the tenants children had been ill and were diagnosed with high levels of CO in their blood. There are 2 CO alarms in my property, one in boiler room and one in kitchen, none of them went off. I got a gas engineer who replaced the gas hob (just in case CO poisoning was due to malfunctioning of gas hob) and issued a new gas safety certificate. There is no evidence that CO poisoning was due to boiler or gas hob in the property.
The tenants are sill paranoid that there is something wrong with the property and said that now they can smell something in the downstairs bathroom which is making them ill. They reported the property to Environmental Health (EH). The EH has been carrying out investigations for weeks and has not found anything wrong so far with the property. They haven't provided me any evidence yet of anything being wrong in the property. The tenants have been provided alternate accommodation by the Council at approx £143per night and I have been advised to pay for the alternative accommodation.
EH after finding nothing wrong in the property decided to refer this property to Public Health. The investigation is still ongoing while I am being made liable to pay for alternative accommodation.
I have done everything I can do as a landlord and have got electricity safety and gas safety certificates in place.
When I asked council why am I liable to pay for alternative accommodation even though EH is not willing to give it to me in writing that the property is uninhabitable, they said it is as per "Homelessness Legislation".
Can you please advise:
(i) Whether the Council is telling me the truth that as per Homelessness Legislation, it is the landlord who is supposed to pay for alternative accommodation, even though nothing has been found wrong with the property, while investigation is carried out and property deemed as unsafe, just because the tenant is being paranoid?
(ii) Am I really liable to pay £143per night, as long as the tenants are in alternative accommodation, with no deadline, as it may take weeks or months before Public health provides their report?
(iii) If there is something wrong with the drainage, not in the property but outside (say under the road), however, there may be gases due to that in my property, am I legally mandated to pay for alternative accommodation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume you are the Landlord? Do you have insurance?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jamie,
Yes, I have got insurance, but when I called them, they advised that they will not be able to cover alternative accommodation as the house is not deemed as "uninhabitable". They only cover it under case of fire, flood, damage to property, etc. Currently, EH is waiting for Public Health for investigation to be completed. If you can provide me your direct email address and number, I can call you and discuss this in detail and answer all your questions.

I will call shortly.