Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I am a landlord and freeholder of a house divided into two

I am a landlord and freeholder of a house divided into two self contained flats, one on the ground floor and one on the first floor. Both flats have two bedrooms, a sitting room, kitchen and bathroom. Southwark Council in London contacted me a couple of months ago and notified me that I was requiredto apply for their Additional Licensing Scheme and I paid a fee of £500 per flat.
The building was inspected recently and I received a letter yesterday stating that under the Housing Act 2004 schedule 5 part1 paragraph 5,
"A notice of proposed refusal of a licence for a house in multiple occupation " was attached. The first floor flat was being refused as the kitchen was too small for an HMO. The ground floor flat was refused as the second bedroom was too small. The letter also states that I have the right to make representations concerning the proposed refusal. The ground floor flat is tenanted by a couple. The first floor flat is tenanted by three sharers on one AST.
Can you tell me firstly, what are the implications of a refusal and secondly how can I overcome the objections. If I were to make the bathroom and bedroom larger the property would require a rear addition. Both sets of tenants would need to leave. Both sets of tenants are on periodic tenancies. The council has told me I cannot issue them with a notice to quit without their permission

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the Council have a policy as to what size rooms should be?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
single room 10sq metresKitchen for 3 people sharing 7.5sq metres

I will call shortly.