How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I need to change the names on my house deeds and I ,t know

This answer was rated:

I need to change the names on my house deeds and I don,t know where to start could you please help.Regards

Hi Colin, could you give me a little more information. In whose names do you want the Deeds to go into and do you have a Mortgage? Is any payment to be made or is it to be a gift? Al

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don,t have a Mortgage and i wont to change my name on the deeds for my son name.

Thanks for your reply Colin. Well, you will need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor who will advise you of the implications of transferring the property to your son (ie you will lose all legal ownership in the property so that if your son were to sadly get divorced/be made bankrupt/die prematurely and before you, that the house may end up in the ownership of a third party).

If you are happy then to proceed, a simple Land Registry Transfer document will be drawn up, signed by you and then registered at the Land Registry.

Your Solicitor is likely to charge approx. £350-£500 plus VAT for this work and there will be a Land Registry fee of £20-£80 to pay, based on the property value.

On the basis that this is to be a gift, no Stamp Duty will be payable.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.


Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you