How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I,as the Landlord,am being chased for a 4year old [ unpaid

This answer was rated:

I,as the Landlord,am being chased for a 4year old [ unpaid by my tenant] utility bill.
I no longer have a copy of the 6 month signed tenancy agreement, I didn't use a letting agent.
I have forwarded them emails between the tenant and myself at the time he moved in, but they won't accept that as proof.
Am I liable?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How long ago was this please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I received a letter from a debt collection agency dated 19/07/2017, naming their client as the electricity supplier of my tenanted property.
I 'phoned their client the utility company {electricity supplier] and have been having daily emails & 'phone calls from them since, asking for a copy of the tenancy agreement, which I no longer have.
I have forwarded them numerous emails between the said tenant and myself , which demonstrates that he was in occupancy at the time [ this debt accured?] 4 years ago,as well as emails from the tenant prior showing the date and meter readings when she left 2 days before.
One of the emails I have sent them has as an attachment of the tenancy agreement I used, for the tenants approval, prior to moving in, but not filled in as that was done at the property on the moving in date. The following email from him 3 days later talks about him now being settled in.

Dont you have to keep documents for 6 years for HMRC tax purposes and under the Data Protection Act 1998?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, this is too expensive to continue, I have bank statements etc for the period but no longer have hard copy files of tenancy agreements as I'm living in a small property without the space to store.This is a one off small investment/retirement income. I now use a letting agent.

Ok - but if its income then you would still have to declare it?
Do you have ANY evidence that the property was rented during that period?
The fee you pay for the question is a one off.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know that, thank you.
The only other evidence would be the council tax at that time in his name and the water supply,

How much is the debt collection agency seeking off you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok - I would just write to them and say you are not going to pay it.

If it went to Court it would cost them a lot more than £169 and indeed they would have to prove YOU were living at the address.

Its not for you to disprove that you were not. The onus would be on them.

But for such a small amount they wont do anything. It will cost them more to take it further.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for this advice, I really do appreciate it as it isn't a small amount to me nor is it my debt.
Kind regards ***** ***** and the team at Just answer.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Certainly will now do this.