How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6408
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I need some legal advice please regarding my landlords

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need some legal advice please regarding my landlords trying to increase my rent by over 60%. There is a long back story to the issue. I am an assured tenant with no contract. My landlord died and his children are trying to get me out because they want to sell the property at a higher rate than they would with an assured tenant.
Any help would be much appreciated.
many thanks
Debbie Miles

Hello Debbie my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have they served a formal notice?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jamie
Thank you for coming back so quickly.
The eldest daughter knocked on my door on the 29th July and said "We are here to serve you notice". She handed me some paperwork and shouted at me that I have to sign it. I said "but I haven't read it". she then shouted "it's just like signing for something from the postman". I took the paperwork and signed it but also put Unread and the date. When I looked at the paperwork afterwards it was actually a notice of intent to increase the rent, but she hadn't said that at the door. Because she had threatened eviction last November I didn't respond to the first words out of her mouth.
Sorry, I'm waffling because I am stressed. Thank you

I will call shortly.