How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

We have a right of way in front of our pub. The council are

This answer was rated:

We have a right of way in front of our pub. The council are now describing it as a foot way and demanding it is widened to keep 1.5 meters clear necessitating the removal of tables and chairs. We have previously kept a width of 1 metre

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

  1. May I assume this is a public right of way?
  2. If so is the physical right of way demarked by any boundaries at least on one side?
  3. Does the right of way run along the edge of a field?
  4. Is the right of way a footpath only?
Joshua and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. There is a right of way it has not been adopted by NYCC as a public footpath
2. It is alongside a river bank
3.No as above
4. It is a footpath although the council has taken to calling it a footway.
Upstream the path is the same as mine and is 1 metre wide. Downstream it is a public footpath and again is 1 metre wide

Many thanks for the above and your requiest for a phone call. I am just on another phone call. May I call you once I have finished?