Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I have recently separated from my fiancé with whom I shared

I have recently separated from my fiancé with whom I shared a rented property on a 12 month tenancy contract. This contract has both joint names on it, however, the monthly rental fee is paid in full by him. There is approx 4 months left on the tenancy. I would like to know:What my liability is on this contract if he chooses not to pay the rental fee until the contract terminatesIf I can remove myself from this contract and if so, whether I am likely to incur an admin fee from the letting agent?Thank you

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you spoke to the Landlord about having you removed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet - I wanted to know my position first. I just don’t want my ex partner to do anything under handed and to incur cost.I also want to go and rent somewhere elsewhere and the cost would be crippling

In law you are jointly liable until the end of the tenancy. So unless the Landlord releases you then you are jointly liable for the last 4 months.

If he choses not to pay you are jointly liable but can sue if your ex doesnt pay.

You cant remove yourself from the contract unless the agreement says you can or the Landlord consents.

No, you wont incur a fee from the agents.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does the landlord have to tell my ex partner if I ask to be removed from it?

No. Does that clarifies?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you know under what circumstances might the landlord not agree?

Because the Landlord doesnt have to agree, unless the contract says.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. In applying to rent elsewhere, if my name remains on the existing contract, can I start a new contract elsewhere? I still need to be referenced for this via a credit check. I will be paying 6 months up front. So will my liability on my current contract affect my credit check for the new property?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi JamieI’m new to the service - just wanted to make sure that you received my last question?

Sorry, yes.

You can start another contract, yes.

It wont make any difference if you are on a current property.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That’s good, thank you. I think I have what I need

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!