How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6449
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Can you help me regarding private renting and deposit TDS?

This answer was rated:

Good evening! Can you help me regarding private renting and deposit TDS?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I moved out of the property 30th September 2017 and the landlord is still holding my full deposit. I went back last Saturday to clean up and now he is indicating I was not a good tenant, despite email with very good reference and email thanking for being a "wonderful tenant". He sold the house and should exchange 1st November. He took 13 days after I moved out to give me feedback and I agreed to go back the very next (last Sarurday) to attend to his points. Now he expects me to pay for new carpets, claiming my dogs ruined it. I have 2 small ***** *****s. I cleaned the entire house again last Saturday and noticed the dark markings on the carpet in the lounge was wet. Looking underneath the carpet both the underlayer as well as under the underlayer was humid. As there appears to be a contractual condition he still needs works done to the house. How long can he hold my deposit. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Was your deposit protected?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with TDS

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to write to TDS?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How long is he allowed to retain my deposit?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I get an answer please?

Sorry I am just on a train.

You write to the Landlord. He must return it within 14 days of your tenancy ending.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
his time has elapsed. He is holding the deposit until it's closer to the sale of his house.
He did not lay the carpets. My friend who was previous tenant paid for the carpets. Can I be made responsible for the carpets?

Correct. You can issue proceedings and no, you are not liable for the carpet.

How can you be - you didnt cause it!

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does clarify thank you BUT I'm just not sure how I can prove it because I have the dogs and he is using that as an excuse.

It wouldnt be for you to prove. It would be for him to prove YOU damaged it.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you