How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I separated from my husband 14 years ago. We are still

Customer Question

Hello I separated from my husband 14 years ago. We are still legally married. I live in the family home. Our children are 20 18 17 15. We have a joint interest only mortgage. The DWP have been paying the mortgage interest because my 17 year old is disabled and I am her carer. The mortgage term ends in 11 years. I will have to sell the house to pay the £100,000 mortgage. If there is any profit do I need to give my ex husband half? He hasn't contributed towards the mortgage cos he only just got a job after 13 years
Theresa Pinkham
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house worth and how much will you need to rehouse yourself and your daughter

Are you considering a divorce?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Clare can I just check that I won't have to pay anymore than the initial £26 for your advice. I don't have much money. The house is worth approximately £,350,000. I will have to rent when the mortgage term is up. I don't know how much it will be. I would consider a divorce if it would leave me in a better financial situation with regard to the house.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

How much would a two bedroom property in the same area cost to buy?

Have you looked at shared ownership schemes?