Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have recently been contacted by an individual via letter,

Hi,I have recently been contacted by an individual via letter, who owns the 'commercial woodland' next to our property after we used a firm of tree surgeons to cut back branches (17th October 2017).Whilst the branches extended over our boundary line / fence (and were rotten) as part of this process they cut down an oak tree (15-20 meters in height which was partly rotten) on the landowner's side of the boundary.The oak tree was diagnosed as being a danger to our property by the tree surgeon (at the time we had the recent hurricane warnings) and the tree was leaning towards our garage and side of the house, where our master bedroom is located.Whilst the work was being carried out and after the oak tree had been cut-down, the owner introduced himself to my parter and the tree surgeons, and challenged why this was happening and requested all of the non-rotten logs to be transported to his property ~1 mile away which they obliged.The letter is claiming an act of criminal damage and is seeking compensation for both the loss of a tree from a commercial woodland, the replanting, and losses incurred for attending the site and gaining legal advice.
They are also seeking an understanding for no further trespass or conducting any future tree cutting or lopping of branches of his trees other than those overhanging a vertical extension of the boundary line.They have not specified a financial value for compensation other than a “sensible offer" and agreement to sign a "suitably worded undertaking” related to the above.I’d welcome your guidance on the above - namely the potential (legal / financial) consequences, a suggested compensation value, and strategy to handle this matter and anything that should be included in the proposed undertaking please.Kind regards, Richard

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear a tree was cut down on someone else's land?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie - Yes that is correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie - My phone number is +44 01494 672816 (UK).

I will call shortly.