How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been a tenant in my flat for 20 years on a rolling

This answer was rated:

I have been a tenant in my flat for 20 years on a rolling tenancy. Originally there were three names on the tenancy but for the last 4 years or so it has just been me and I have sublet one of the rooms which my landlord has been aware of. Last month I received a letter saying that they are planning to increase the rent in the new year, initially by 24% which is £290 and then by another £300 the following new year. As I have rented this accommodation for so long, do I have any legal rights to request a lower increase?
Many thanks for your advice.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you know what type of tenancy you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will go and find the last tenancy agreement now, but I think it is an assured short term tenancy.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I should have said hello Jamie


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the last agreement I had was in January 2013 and it is an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

Ok. The Landlord can only increase it by serving a S.13 notice. It must be in the prescribed format. Please see:

If not, then its not binding. It gives you a right of appeal.

You can stay paying old rent until the hearing. But if its found the new rent is fair then that is backdated.

But if you havent been served this notice, you can pay existing rent.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried that link but it says page not found.

If you google search s.13 notice its the second one down.

If says DOC: Tenancy form 4: landlords' notice proposing a new rent under

Its that one.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you