How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

We live in a detached house and a neighbour has built a

Customer Question

We live in a detached house and a neighbour has built a garden wall which wraps around the one corner of our house. We did not agree to this and when they started building the wall we never imagined it would be attached to our house. Can we ask them to remove it?
Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am still waiting for an answer nearly 24 hours later!
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 months ago.

Is it his boundary?

Does it follow the line of whatever was there before?


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. They have built onto the my exterior wall and front facing wall. They have also built on top of my existing retaining wall which is within my boundary.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 months ago.

I would obtain Office Copy Entries of your title deeds and those of your neighbour from the Land Registry. We title deeds there will be a plan showing the boundary which you can use for ammunition. They can be obtained online from the Land Registry or a local solicitor can obtain them for you at a minimal price.

Assuming the deeds support our case I would write to the neighbour advising them that they have encroached on your property and are trespassing.

I would give them ,say, 14 days to remove the offending wall or I will get it dismantled and sue them for the cost of doing so.

If he does not move it get the wall dismantled properly and place the bricks on his side. Advise that any threatening words or behaviour will be reported to the police.

Any further points please reply and I will be happy to respond

Kindly accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes