How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6453
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am really worried. 10 years ago I fell behind with My

This answer was rated:

Good morning I am really worried. 10 years ago I fell behind with My mortgage. I was recommended to someone who helped me by paying 6.000 to stop the reposition. He also did some renovation at his costing. With a view to sell at a later date. He then decided to rent the property out as he said it was not a good time to sell. Five years ago I took charge and put the rental through a agent. I had still gave the man all rental income of 675 for him to pay the mortgage of 400 and keep the ballance of 267 every month thinking I was paying him back. He contacted me recently telling me that I still owe him not only that I owe him but that my property is rightfully his because I had singed a document stated that on the sale of my property he will have 100%of the equity. And that I still owe him. I don't want to sell my house plus there is a charge against my property. Whilst I was grateful for help at the time I truly beilive I was paying back funds to him. In total about 13.000 plus. He has been taking these monies but still wants my home what can I do. Can he do this? I feel that He is being unfair. He told me at the time of signing this document it was protection in the event that I passed away he could get his money back. I trusted him at the time and did not seek advice to what I was singing at the time. I was in a very low place. Can go advise please.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did you sign this saying he would have 100% of equity?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did but at the time I did it realize what this ment
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I later found out that He also put a charge on my porperty
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot call as I have no more funds on my card to pay

So you didn’t realise when you signed it that he would take the equity?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No at the time as I said I was in a very low place with depression I was ready to give up totally. This man said he was helping me. He just wanted to secure that He would get his funds back. I thought I was paying him back by letting him have the excess of the rent which he has kept. He said at the time I owe him 20.000 and He would walk away
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
good morning are we still communicating

So what did you think you were signing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought I was signing an agreement that if I should die before complete repayment of his help, that he get His monies back from my estate. I was widowed at the time but have one daughter who had just gone off to university.

Did you read it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to be honest it was read to me at the time. It was only when I was going through paperwork recently that I got the true sense of what he had written up. I am not disputing His help or that he got me out of what was a desperate situation, I just don't understand how he could be taking 275 for the past five years and still asking for 20,000 pounds or my home!

So when it was read to you, was it accurate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cant really say as I said I was in a very bad place and thought He was sincerer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi is there anything I can do? this man is asking to meet with me sometime next week I rally need advise on where I stand
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is there any response at this point ?

He wants to meet, on what basis? From what you have said, he only owns the equity, not the whole house.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what are you saying can If there is no equity He cannot take my house?

No no no.

I am saying that you just agreed he could have your equity, isnt that right?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry I had an hospital appointment so could not respond until now. I am saying I did not understand that he was requesting 100% of equity. I truly understood it to be 100% of what he spent to stop repression and renovations. that is why I was and have been making regular payments for the past five years to pay him back. He is telling me the house is not mine.

Has he threatened eviction?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no he hasn't just says he wants to meet with me and that the house is his

Ok. What is it you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok number one is can he lay claim to my house? two can he have grounds on this document even though I signed in a state of vulnerability. three all monies that he has been taking from me for the past five years can I act as payment to his loan?

Can you upload the document?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will try
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am having trouble trying to upload. can I email the document
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good morning I finally managed to email the document across to your email sent from my work office scanner. I hope you have received it. Sorry for the delay.

It takes 24 hours or so to get to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thank you

No problem

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good Morning
Can you please confirm if you have received the document? Mr Charles is wanting to meet with me this Thursday. and I could do with some advise of where and how to proceed

No. Could you send it again:***@******.***


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi I have just sent the document via attachment. can you confirm on receipt

I will on receipt.

I have the document now, if you want me to call. let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would love to call. however I don't have enough in my account on my card to pay at present. would you be able to call me?

Yes, but you need to accept the additional service.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello what do I do know please

Ok, now I just need your number.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Number is *****(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi can you confirm that you have my phone details. As stated Mr Charles is wanting to meet with me tomorrow

Sorry I have been in Court. When would be good to call?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am home now


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry just I forgot to ask, I recently got married, and wondered can I gift the house to my daughter, if so will Mr Charles have any stake in the house legally.

You can’t. He owns the equity. I am sorry

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you. but I due have the right to stop paying any funds right!

Yes. Contract doesn’t say you have to pay anything.