How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10257
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My landlord is trying to apply a higher rent increase than i

Customer Question

my landlord is trying to apply a higher rent increase than i believe is defined in the assured short hold tenancy agreement we have signed.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 4 months ago.

I’m afraid the situation here is not particularly favourable because although you can apply to the Rent Tribunal to have a fair rent set at the market rate, the reality is that if you get a rent set by the Tribunal which is lower than the landlord wants, all the landlord will do is give you a section 21 notice to quit at the end of the term or if the tenancy has become periodic, to quit in two months time. So you can win the battle but actually lose the war. I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

.Can I clarify anything else for you? I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.