How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

I have been separated from my wife for 7 years the landlord

Customer Question

I have been separated from my wife for 7 years the landlord wants her out of the cottage and they have named me as still on the tenancy am I still liable
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 months ago.

Hi Welcome to just answer. I assume that you have made not agreement with the Landlord to be released from tenancy? if not then - whatever arrangement you made with your estranged wife - you are still contractually a tenant under the tenancy agreement. If they are taking possession proceedings then they would have to name you. If it is just a matter of possession then you cold contact them and say you have already vacated and have no objection other getting possession. however is there are arrears of rent then you may be legally liable for them - although you may have a claim against your wife to recover from her. That will depend upon the arrangements between you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 months ago.

O expect that is not the answer you would hope for but I am afraid it is the legal position. Let me know if I can help further

Otherwise I would appreciate a favourable rating