Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

I am considering purchasing a property in Wales. The sales

I am considering purchasing a property in Wales. The sales brochure states that there is a "small area" of the garden that has Japanese Knotweed and that the vendor would set up a treatment programme prior to completion of the sale. If I were to purchase this property, would I be held responsible if the plant was found on neighbouring lands and what form would that responsibility take?

Thanks for your question. You would be held responsible if the neighbours had evidence that the infestation came from your land. I have had quite a lot of experience with selling and buying properties with JK. As a purchaser you have to ensure that the seller gets, or allows you to get a survey from a JK specialist. That survey should say whether it has spread to neighbouring properties. You want to make it a condition of contract that the seller takes steps to eradicate all of it and it’s sources and that a 10 year Guarantee is available from the contractor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you JGM.

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time. Note that you might also want to get a JK indemnity policy from some like Countrywide Indemnities to supplement the guarantee from the contractor.