How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

We have a CCJ against a limited company. The papers and

This answer was rated:

We have a CCJ against a limited company. The papers and judgment refer to the company's trading name. The company are now saying it does not have to pay because it is not against the limited company name. Any advice?

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Does the CCJ contain the company number and registered office?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it doesn't

Thank you. Unfortunately this is probably correct, but even if you had put the full company name in it is unlikely to affect the outcome of the claim. Your best course of action is apply to court to have the claim form and Judgment amended. Was this in the Small claims court?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was in the small claims court

Thank you. You would need to adjust the original claim for to alter the defendants name - this can be done using an application notice N244. Reissuing the proceedings may be considered an abuse of the process - I would write to the court first and check whether they will accept the application notice to change the defendants name. Explain that the defendant has not change and is the same defendant as identified in the evidence you provided. Did you give the court a copy of your contract with the defendant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
they were supplied with a copy of the contract

Thank you - does the contract have their full company name?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not the registered company name only the trading name

Thank you. Do you have anything from them acknowledging or accepting the goods or services you provided? From a company email address or director?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
their email footer refers to their trading name and registered company name

Thank you. That should be sufficient evidence to show who you made a contract with. The next step is to contact the court and ask if they will allow you to submit an application to amend the claim. Kind regards AJ

Alex J. and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you