How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

How can I change ownership of a property? I have two houses

This answer was rated:

Hello, how can I change ownership of a property? I have two houses with my partner and we hold the property as Tenants in Common in equal shares 50/50. There is no declaration of trust entered.
We live in one of our two houses and we are renting the second one out. Maybe we will be seperated from each other in future and would share the two houses between each other . There are mortgages on both.
If I wanted to own one and he wanted to own the other property, what should we do?
Would it be possible to keep mortgages as they are now and just simply change the ownerships?

Thank you for your question

It will not be possible to do this without the agreement of the Mortgage Companies involved - who are unlikely to want to release either of you from the mortgages

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. And what if we don't want to be released and they agree? What would happen after that?

They will not agree to a Transfer to one name in any event

Clare and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you