How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I would like to buy property which has adjoining land bought

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon. I would like to buy property which has adjoining green land bought separately in 2005 (currently outside the property fence). The land is just a lawn between a house and sidewalk. In a future I want to fence it in and possible build the garage (subject to planning permission) but not sure if it is possible. Just checked title register and it has Charges Register : The land is subject to rights of drainage and rights in respect of water gas and electricity and other supply services together with ancillary rights of entry.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Weston Super Mare, North Somerset
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean?
Assistant: What confuses you?
Customer: Have you seen my first question
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just advice about the charges register

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. As regards ***** ***** in the Charges Register, these may be general rights affecting a large section of land as opposed to the land in question (let's call it "the lawn") specifically. Hence, there may not be any utility services running under the lawn. If you proceed with the purchase, your Solicitor will carry out a water/drainage search and this will reveal if there are any public sewers running under the lawn (if there is, you won't be able to build over the sewer without the consent of the Water board). Your Solicitor can also carry out a specific utilities search to see if there is any electric or gas lines running under the lawn.

As a side point, your Solicitor will also be able to advise you if there are any covenants prohibiting you from building on the lawn (although these should be revealed in the Charges Register, or will be contained in any Transfer document referred to in the Charges Register, for which you have a copy).

I hope this assists and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. Thank you for your response. I am wondering if there is any way to start any searches prior to making the offer. Is there anything I can do now or it needs to be done by my Solicitor.

Hi, you could ask the Seller, via the Agents, whether they have the water/ drainage search from when they purchased. As regards ***** ***** utility search, you would need your Solicitor to put in hand this search, or you could contact a Search Company yourself online. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. Thank you for your help. I will try to speak to the Agency again,