Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My landlord ( council ) told me there were no neighbour

My landlord ( council ) told me there were no neighbour problems when I asked to be moved from the problem neighbours they had given me, only to find I had been lied to. Don't they have to disclose this?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Yes.

If they didnt know, that is one matter, but if they did and lied to you, then that is a breach of contract.

So if they knew of this, then it should have been disclosed.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
According to the ombudsman's reply the landlord, that is, the council in this case, is not obliged to inform tenants of previous ASB issues on the basis of data protection. Why is there nothing in place to protect tenants? Maybe it is because the trouble maker was the tenants son who moved himself in as soon as his father had died. Thank you for your reply. I will not pursue it any more as I need to move on and start healing. It has made me quite ill.

It does not breach Data Protection. That is only where you disclose the names/addresses's etc.

They should have disclosed it - no different if you are buying a property and asked if you have ever had problems with neighbours.

Does that assist?