How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6717
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am letting a property in London. I moved in today and the

Customer Question

Good evening,
I am letting a property in London. I moved in today and the Windows of the bedroom don't open. I wasn't aware of that. The landlord says he doesn't want to pay and they are sealed for security reasons. But they have bars outside the window. Is there any sort of legal enforcement in UK that the bedroom windows have to open?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is it on the only means of escape?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, there is the front door only. The other door gives on a enclosed garden. The bedroom has also bars in from because is a ground floor. Thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

You need to speak with the Council.

They will come round and assess the property to see whether it has suitable means of escape.

If the answer is no, then they can stop the Landlord renting and/or make him to improvements.

If the answer is yes, then sadly you are stuck with it.

But contact the Council - they can inspect the property.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

I see you have rated poor service, which effects my personal standing on the site.

I am only the messenger and can only tell you what the legal position is.

What else would you like to know and I would be delighted to assist?