Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a landlord. I have a house that I have rented out. My

Customer Question

Hi I am a landlord. I have a house that I have rented out. My tenant was in the property for 2.5 years. on commencement of the tenancy she paid a deposit but i failed to protect that deposit. She is now claiming damages. I know my duties under the Housing Act 2004 and I know I have failed to protect her deposit. She left the property on her own accord and at the time there was no issues.
The tenancy was initially a 6 moth AST and then because periodicI know that as compensation I have to pay between 1 to 3 time the deposit as penalty My question is this.Would I have to pay 1 to 3 time for one contract or would the tenancy be viewed as two contract and if so would I have to pay 1 to 3 time for each contract ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

It would be for each tenancy.

Therefore it would be twice.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sis it possible to call you on telephone?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would that be £44 + £38 or just £44.00

It would be an extra cost, yes. Not instead.