How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7089
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am a landlord. I have a house that I have rented out. My

Customer Question

Hi I am a landlord. I have a house that I have rented out. My tenant was in the property for 2.5 years. on commencement of the tenancy she paid a deposit but i failed to protect that deposit. She is now claiming damages. I know my duties under the Housing Act 2004 and I know I have failed to protect her deposit. She left the property on her own accord and at the time there was no issues.
The tenancy was initially a 6 moth AST and then because periodicI know that as compensation I have to pay between 1 to 3 time the deposit as penalty My question is this.Would I have to pay 1 to 3 time for one contract or would the tenancy be viewed as two contract and if so would I have to pay 1 to 3 time for each contract ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

It would be for each tenancy.

Therefore it would be twice.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sis it possible to call you on telephone?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would that be £44 + £38 or just £44.00
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

It would be an extra cost, yes. Not instead.