Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I rented out a property from an agent for subletting

Hi,I rented out a property from an agent for subletting purposes. It was my second property I had rented from them and I took on the property in a bit of a rush as I had tenants arriving on the same day and I already knew the agency so took it on without signing a contract but I paid first months rent and admin fees. The contract to sign online was to follow accordingly. However, when I entered the property which I had briefly seen a couple of months ago I noticed bugs in the kitchen. There were tenants due to arrive in less than an hour so I didn't do much about it immediately. They were only short term tenants via Airbnb due to stay a few days. A couple of days later the tenants complained about the bugs
I researched the bugs to be booklice. I researched the cause of the bugs to be due to moisture and mould in the kitchen and to eradicate them would not be an easy job, so I informed the agent that I could not keep the flat as I wouldn't be able to rent it out. The agent is not easy to get hold of and getting them to do anything after they've rented out is extremely difficult. I tried to arrange meeting them to discuss the issue but they avoided me. 2 days later the rent was due on the first flat and as they avoided meeting me I deducted the amount I had paid for this 2nd flat from the 1st flats rent which they were not happy about. I tried meeting them on many occasions to discuss this issue which they avoided. Now they are saying they would like me to pay 2 weeks rental and the admin fees. As no contract was originally signed I would like to know where I stand and if I have to pay what they are asking for which works out at a total of £1361.50.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear there is no signed contract?

Note it may the morning when I reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's right there is no signed contract

Sorry above the overnight delay, when would be good to call?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, when would it be possible to take a look at this issue. Thank you

This evening if you give me your number?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, are you able to help with chat

Yes. When would be good to call?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Anytime, if you prefer to call my number is ***** 033089

Ok.

I tried to call today. Let me know when you are free.

It will show as withheld.