Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

Can the landlord stop a lease if the company change the

Hi, can the landlord stop a lease if the company change the director that sign that lease?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The property is a coffe shop and Today, after 6 months that I bought that business the landlord contact me and say we need do a new lease with of course other money to pay!

Thank you. If the director signed the lease for and on behalf of the company, then no you cannot stop the lease just because the director changes. The director binds the company not himself personally - the company is a distinct legal person and therefore it will retain its rights and obligations under the agreement. Has the shareholder changed? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your prompt message.
Yes the shareholder is changed, is me Director and Shareholder.
So praticaly the landlord have no right to ask to me about a new lease, it is right?

Thank you. Does the Lease contain a change of control clause? As in a right to terminate if the shareholder changes? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I ask to my accounted to check properly and he told to me there are no evidence and that clause.

Thank you. Ok so changing shareholder or director does not give the landlord the right to terminate the lease. Have they taken possession of the property? Could you kindly take a moment to rate my response so far - thank you kind regards AJ