Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
31090051

After living with my husband in Scotland in his and his late

After living with my husband in Scotland in his and his late wife's home for 18 years, when we separated I was only allowed a third of the property value under inheritance law in Scotland even though I paid £28000 into the home when I lived with him. We were married for 16 years. I was nominated £31500 when we split up even thou the house was worth £ 164 ooo pounds. Was this fair?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. How do you mean inheritance law? Did your husband die?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, we separated. The house was bought with his late wife. We had a joint second mortgage on the property a few years later.It was paid off when he retired. I was told because they bought the house together I was only entitled to half of his half of the price of the property.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I don't want a call just reply by mail thank you

The Law in Scotland is that Property acquired before the marriage isn’t matrimonial property subject to limited exception as regards ***** ***** home where the contribution of the spouse can be examined. From the information you have given it appears that issue was considered by your adviser and you were given a share. Whether the share was reasonable would depend on the overall settlement having regards ***** ***** total matrimonial property and any debts you had at the time of separation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your reply

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that just answer credits me for my time.