Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Is a landlord responsible for replacing old rotten carpets

Is a landlord responsible for replacing old rotten carpets and redecorating the property

Can you explain your situation a bit more?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been living in a property for the past 15 years and have treated it as if it were my own. In that time the landlord has replaced the boiler and central heating system, because the old one refused to work, using my workers at a discounted price. The property is inspected monthly by his agent who I have repeatedly asked to ask about replacing the carpets and redecorating the property as it was rented out on a room basis for several years before I moved in and not very clean to put it mildly. I re married in 2010 and my wife was unhappy with the state of the house but nothing was forthcoming from the Agent who simply repeated they had no response from the owner. So, I replaced the kitchen at a cost of £10,000 in round figures, installed a multi fuel burner at £2600, created a vestibule inside the front door, re decorated and re carpeted the hallway and three flights of stairs ( four storey terraced property), re decorated the living room and dining room, re decorated and re carpeted the Office, installed chandeliers in the hall and stairs, Office and living room, re decorated and re carpeted the second bedroom and the top floor where my son lives. Total cost approximately £20,000.
The owner recently visited for the first time since 2003 with new Agents and finally agreed to paint the front of the house and repair a window that was falling out, and prune two overgrown trees in the rear garden.
I have now received a notice of a rent increase because the Agents have advised the owner that for a property in this condition the rent is at least £400 per month too low. The house is now a pleasure to live in, unlike the mess it was in before I did the work. I did the work because I wish to remain in the property indefinitely which the owner when we met when I moved in said he would be happy for me to do so as he lives in the USA. In view of the fact that he now tells me the rent will go up every year to reach the market value he has been advised of I feel I am being penalised for increasing the value of the property substantially in my desire to live in a clean home. Does a landlord have any legal obligation to keep a property in good condition decoration and carpet wise? Do I have any claim on the owner for what I have spent in view of the fact that he now has increased the rent and intends to every year because of ‘ market value for a property in this condition ‘ ?
My wife and I are very upset because we are effectively being punished for spending a not inconsiderable amount of money on ‘our home’. Have we been very stupid ?
Please advise.

Trying now.