Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
13262538

My elderly neighbour was taken into care. Her daughter has

My elderly neighbour was taken into care. Her daughter has moved into her (Owned) house with husband and made it her own, discarding property of her mother. As someone should be paying for the mothers' care and the house is usually taken into account to help pay for care, how is it that the daughter can move into her house instead of putting it up for sale? Is there fraud being committed here?
The mother was a pensioner, I doubt she had much savings.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - what is your interest and concern about this matter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’m am interested to know if there is possibly fraud going on. I am worried for my ex friend who is in care and may not know what is really happening
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The daughter is now trying to cause me trouble too.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?

My apologies for the delay

There are many reasons why the house may not be relevant

It may be that she requires full Nursing care - in which case the NHS pay.

It may be that the daughter will in fact be selling the property - but wishes to complete work on the property

Alternatively it may be that the daughter is funding the Home herself because she does not wish to sell the property.

What is certain is that if the Local Authority are paying the fees at the moment then they WILL make the daughter sell the property eventually

Please ask if you need further details