Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I'm owner occupier of a leasehold flat. I'm also Company

Customer Question

I'm owner occupier of a leasehold flat. I'm also Company Secretary to the Flat Management Company. As Company Secretary I'm starting to get a number of requests to sign and have witnessed "EXECUTED as a Deed" documents. I think there are about six out twenty flat owners wanting to extend their leases, including me as one of the flat owners. The valuation processes are all done with agreed values of around £7,000 each plus costs. The problem is they're written in legalese, ie gobbledygook to me.I don't think our Company would normally have take on any extra responsibilities in these cases but the freeholder is Sinclair Gardens Investments (Kensington) Ltd whom I believe have a notorious reputation. I'm reluctant to sign for the Company without understanding the contents.I'm looking for either a plain English version or confirmation it's OK for me to sign these "EXECUTED as a Deed" documents please. I can scan and send one to you to look at as they're all worded the same but personalised for each flat.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 5 months ago.

Your Management Company have 2 options when signing a Lease extension- it can either be

Executed as a deed by (name of company) acting by [a director and its secretary] [two directors]

Signature of Director:___________________

Signature of [Secretary][Director]:________________

OR

Executed as a deed by (name of Company) acting by a director In the presence of:

Signature of witness:________________

Name (in BLOCK CAPITALS):________________

Address:_________________________

So, as Secretary, you WON'T be able to sign on your own. You would either need to sign the document, together with a Director, or a Director alone can sign.

Looking at your scenario generally, you may want to consider employing a Solicitor to act for the Management Company so they can oversee the Lease extensions and guide you through the process.

I hope this assists.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. I would then be happy to deal with any follow up question.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi, can I assist you any further? Kind Regards Al