Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We own the freehold of the flat we live in. Can we grant

We own the freehold of the flat we live in. Can we grant ourselves a lease, please? The property is a house converted into 2 flats. We get ground rent from the other flat. We wish to remortgage but they don't do freehold flats.

Hi, thanks for your enquiry. A Lease can be granted, but a Freeholder can't grant himself a Lease.

On the basis that you both own the Freehold, you therefore have 2 options- you either have to transfer the Freehold into just one of your names and that person then grants the Lease to the 2 of you OR

the two of you grant the Lease to just one of you. I hope this assists and if so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards Al