How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7682
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I run a small cafe that has a flat above that is rented out

This answer was rated:

HiI run a small cafe that has a flat above that is rented out by the landlord/agency. Both the business property and flat are rented out separately by the same landlord.After renting the property for a few months, we discovered that the tenant in the flat was paying a flat rate for utility bills to the landlord, while the business property was paying the bill directly. While this was happening, all utilities went through the business property's bills. The landlord told the tenant that he would be paying the business property renter the difference in the bills, but we did not receive anything.In the 3 months before the tenant in the flat above moved out, the electricity bill was showing over 3000kwh usage. After the tenant moved out the usage went down to 1300kwh. This shows that we were paying over double our actual electricity usage. The landlord seems to be ignoring our calls and messages.What can we do?Thanks in advance

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You need to work out your overpayment, this is your loss.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you