Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My step daughter is joint owner of my property (tenants in

My step daughter is joint owner of my property (tenants in common) with me but failed to change the deeds when she got married. She had changed her name to my surname when the deeds were drawn up but now uses her married name. Does this effect her ownership status?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This was supposed to take half an hour. It's been over an hour now

Hi, thanks for your enquiry and am sorry that no-one has been ale to assist you earlier.

The fact that your step daughter has a new surname does NOT affect her ownership of the property whatsoever. It is good practice to update the Land Registry upon a change of name but legally you do not have to.

I hope this clarifies the position but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

If I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards

Al