How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11148
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I’m in a despite with my landlord. When I first moved into

This answer was rated:

I’m in a despite with my landlord. When I first moved into property in was in disrepair. I’ve taken photos. I have been waiting for a lease and an electrical Cert to be undertaken. Their are numerous additional problems with the property. I’ve been asking for the electrical Cert for approx 2 years. All of a sudden he has e mailed me a lease. The signature looks similar to mine but isn’t. I have insisted that we don’t pay rent in advance because of the issues with the building. This is mainly because if environmental health or an addition representative inspect the premises, they might close us down. This would incite ourselves having lose of earnings. He has recently written to us, giving us 7 days notice to bring the arrears up to date or he’ll have the locks changed. We’re do we stand and can I take action.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Is this commercial or domestic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s commercial

What does the lease say about arrears and rights of entry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached, is the lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, have you had the lease

Yes but it is many pages long. Can you just look for me and see what it says about a right of entry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie I’ve looked at lease. It hasn’t stated specifically about rights of entry. I’ll attach the paragraphs.

Ok - they can't change the locks because the agreement does not say so.

Usually, it allows the Landlord to change the locks, but they do not appear to have it.

But you can seek an injunction anyway to prevent this from happening.

You would need to complete form N208:
And N16a:

The Court will set the matter down for a hearing and decide whether to make an Order preventing the Landlord.

On the basis there is no right in the lease, then the Court will

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, what can I do, regarding the landlords lack of co operation and actions in adhering to his compliance with the lease. Basically, he said he was going to undertake / complete things like electrical certificate but hasn’t etc. Has he breached the lease. Also, I did not sign a lease and the signature is isn’t mine. It looks like mine but it isn’t. To finish, should there have been two copies of the lease, on signing and should there have been a witness.

You can sue for breach of contract and seek a Court order making him to do the work.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many Thanks, ***** ***** recommend you and give 5 star.

Thanks. If you can click the five star button please? Thanks.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you