Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

The neighbour below a flat I rent out extended her property

Customer Question

The neighbour below a flat I rent out extended her property last July. My tenant has just reported (and I have been to the flat to see for myself) a number of serious cracks in the wall of the bay window directly above the wall they removed to extend their property. The builders are saying it’s outside the snagging period of a few months. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Is there a guarantee period?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don’t know. Is there a standard industry one?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if there is a set snagging period in their contract with the flat owner, shouldn’t they have contacted owners of the other flats in the building to double check their properties? They carried out an inspection prior to the work starting - surely they should have done one afterwards as well before signing off any snags?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

No. It would come with the work done. You need to get a survey done to see what the problem is.

If the surveyor reports it is the builders work, then they are liable.

You have 3 years from the date of knowledge to bring a claim for negligence.

So you have plenty of time, assuming it is less than this.

But the starting point is to get a survey done, then you know what the issue is.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.