Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I owe a house that I rent to my daughter. She a one parent

Customer Question

I owe a house that I rent to my daughter. She a one parent family. She claims housing benefit against this property. Because of this the council told her that her can’t inherit anything from this property. Is this correct and is there a time limit as my daughter will return to full time work when the children are old.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

On what basis do they say this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because she claimed housing benefits against this property in order for me to have rent from the property.

Well once you die then they can not stop her from inheriting it.

Clearly, she wouldn't be able to claim benefits from the time she gets it.

But if you have a genuine tenancy agreement then she is a tenant.

There is nothing stopping you from giving to her when you die, in your will.

But she wouldn't be entitled to benefit from that time.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Excellence thanks

Thanks - can you click the 5 star rating please?