How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10584
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am leaving my rental property and i am unsure if what my

This answer was rated:

I am leaving my rental property and i am unsure if what my land lady is asking me to do is correct
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The land lady cam around whilst i was out, looked around the property and texted me that she wanted the both bathrooms deep cleaned, obviously i wll clean them well be fore I leave, so thought that was a bit off, complained that most of the spotlights through out the property are out. I keep replacing the damn things and as i am very short I cannot reach to do them myself so I have to wait until someone is available to do that for me. she know s this. wants the rotary line replced which was old when I arrived in the property and the kitchen and bathroom blinds replaced. Please bare in mind I have not left yet as you can see from what I have written previously that I have made steps to get the property ship shape for me leaving. As i am down sizing there a few boxes that are being sorted to throw away. I have already said that I will leave the proprty clean, that even though I paid for a deep clean of the kitchen 1 year ago, I will have it done again. I have been her tenant for 6 years.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did she give you notice of inspection?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she did,she gave 24 hours. I did explain to her that I had a room of boxes I was sorting through, that the kitchen needed a deep clean, which i would make sure would be done upon my departure and I have also offered to have the walls painted for 2 flights of stairs and 2 landings. i have replaced the smoke alarms as she did not want to. The originals were very old and one broke whilst I was trying to change the battery. She said i broke it so I have to fix it! the wall lights in the living room when I moved in only 3 of the four wall lights were up. During cleaning I broke another so I actually replaced all four and had them put up. Last year i had the living room and one of the bedrooms painted. The living room I had to paint because, I called to let her know that I thought there was a problem with the wall adjoining the kitchen. the paint was flaking off of the wall. I thought that damp was causing it. she came and looked and said it was because i had put some wet clothes on the radiator which is approx 2 feet away form where the flaking paint was. She told me not to do that anymore.! And because of that it is my fault the wall was like that so I had to repaint it! When the decorator came he said there was something odd about that wall as there was a square cut out and replaced with a similar sized piece of plaster board and that it was really soft. However he did not want to poke around with it too much so he put it back how it was and and painted it. That areas paint bubbled up. I told her about it that I felt there may be an issue with damp but she said it was probably because I hired a rubbish decorator! I said well Its my responsibility to tell you about issues that concern the structure of the house, i have done that now so there is nothing more that I can do. One of the bedroom doors started to fall apart again I let her know and one of her workmen came and said the doors are so cheap they have a tendancy to come unglued. She sent a carpenter round, the damage that was done when fitting the door was terrible the plaster around the frame came away it was awful. I did point that out to her she said that I had to paint it etc. Which i refused as it was her workers shoddy workmanship. She got a painter and decorator round her self and wanted me to pay him £ 800 to paint up the stairs and the top bedroom which does not need redecorating as it has never been used. There is a damp stain there but again that is down to her. Having said all that eventually she replaced a 40 year old german boiler that no one new how to repair in the end. but then complained to me it was a really expensive one! I didnt break the boiler and I did not choose the new one either. She eventually replaced the rotting back door with a UPVC one. again broke floor tile etc during that process. The rotary washing line that she left was old and the lines where stretched on it but i made do with it. During the bad weather the rust got the better of it and it broke. She wants me to replace it! Blinds in the bathroom which i never used, she says need replacing! she says that i have broken them but i truly have not used them! Same as the kitchen blinds apart form needing cleaning they are the same as the were when I arrived.And againi have nit used them i have kept the them all the time. I have was burgled and i had to get the locks replaced so I told her i had a set of keys for her, but she didn't come to collect them for over a year. I am jsut worried that i going to spend so much money to get the place to what she wants that she will still keep my deposit or it will cost more than my deposit. She is not conisistent and can be quite abrupt and rude. I feel quite intimidated by her. the contract in one palce says that i have to keep the place clean and tidy and that fair wear and tare is accepted. but in the end of tenancy clause she has put that i have to return it in the same state as received it in. I am not sure what that means.

How much was your deposit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you