Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I had an agreement to purchase a property for £370000.00.

Customer Question

I had an agreement to purchase a property for £370000.00. All went well and he took the property off the market. We intended to put some possessions into storage close to the property but he suggested putting them into his empty garage which we did. After a few weeks, the vendor requested that a deposit be paid. We gave him £2000.00. On the 6th February sent a letter outlining that before 2 months the Solicitors/details of sale be furnished. Otherwise, both parties could renegotiate. Before the 2 months, (29/03/18), details were sent to his solicitor. Verbal confirmation that house was sold and purchase would be a cash transaction was given to his estate agent who informed me that another offer had been made for the property and asked for more than £15000.00. I spoke to him and he said that he wanted more than £16500.00 as that was the new offer. I asked him to return my £2000.00 and give me access to my property. His comment was, "You pay your money and you take your chance. That is not going to happen".
Can I register a CHARGE/LIEN against his property to prevent him selling it before I get my money and possessions back?
Eric F Gore
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Hello for clarification - was this negotiated (re the garage) through the agent or the seller?

the agent said there was another offer of £150.000

but seller asked for £165.000 is this correct?

and when was the last contact with seller/agent?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry but if you cannot tell the difference between Fifteen thousand and sixteen thousand five hundred pounds I do not want advice from you. You have not answered my question so please refund the £32.00 by return.