Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Me and my wife have a question around a fee we paid a

Customer Question

Hi. Me and my wife have a question around a fee we paid a sourcing agent for in relation to 3 rent 2 rent properties in the uk which we all for 5 year per property. We paid a total of £22k in sourcing fees.
These properties then became 1 year rolling agreements by the letting agent who was not party to discussions with our sourcing agent and was clearly not happy with the agreements we had paid for.
We'd like to find out what our legal position is in getting our £22k sourcing fees refunded back to us seeing as the agreements we paid for are no longer in place.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What does the agreement you signed say about when fees are payable and on what basis?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A deposit of £2k was paid up front to secure the desk and upon signing the agreements the rest of the fees were payable. There were £8k fees for two houses and £6k fees for the third house. All are rent to rent five year agreements which were signed and paid for in December 2017 and January 2018. In late January the 5 year agreements on all three houses b came one year rolling AST’s by the letting agent, NOT the sourcing agent.
My question is are we entitled to a full refund on the original 5 year agreements seeing as they have been changed from the original agreements we paid the sourcing fees for?

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Based on the facts I have given so far, if we were to take our case to court, is our position a strong one to get a refund according to law?

Yes I think you have a good case.

Does that help?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.