How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9903
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Our neighbours seem to have up rooted and taken away an ivy

This answer was rated:

Our neighbours seem to have up rooted and taken away an ivy tree and uprooted or just pushed over another tree in our garden in order to put up a new fence.
The "Bush" that's left is half the hight, twice as far into our garden and now our garden is over looked by their bedroom window.
They did not consult us before or since doing this.
I feel violated and disrespected.
How do I go about sorting this out and what are my rights?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What is it you want to achieve Claire?
Have you reported it to the Police?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Definitely an apology. And if they don't act nicely then I would like to know how much compensation I can ask for and if I have a right to ask for compensation. Also whether I can press charges for trespass and destruction to our property.
No I haven't reported it to the police.

You can report it to the police as this is a criminal damage. They can be prosecuted and sent to prison for this crime.

You can also write and ask for an apology or say you will go to court.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a compensation payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Jamie. No further questions at this time.

Great. If I could ask you to leave a positive rating before you go. Thanks.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you