ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

I recently made a verbal agreement with my neighbor who

Hi I recently made a verbal agreement with my neighbor who needed to clear his garden of trees and waste. Unfortunately for him he has no access to the rear of his property as he needed some large machinery. So the neighbor and his contractor approached me about using my garden as access, this would involve a lot of damage to my garden. The agreement was that all our damage would be rectified. And I specified the type of fence to be used with various other requirements and gaurentes .
Up to now the neighbor has not complied with any of our requests. We have asked but now they are saying that we didn’t make such requests.
So in order to use some authority I have blocked their acsess to my property which means that the machinery cannot be removed.
Hoping that they will see some since and revert back to our agreement.
Do I have this right.?

My name is ***** ***** I have been asked to help. You do not have the right to retain the machinery which you know not to be yours. It could arguably be considered theft and they could involve the police. That does not mean that they should not be carrying out the terms of the agreement. I would be minded to get a solicitor to write to them formally (threatening court action) if they do not confirm that they will abide by the terms of the agreement or in any event they can not continue to have access to your property and that will sue them for recompense. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars for my time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi the machinery is in the neighbors garden. I have just blocked the access through my garden
Then you are not breaking the law. I would still be minded to get in writing the basis of your agreement and for a solicitor to write to them. Please rate for my time.