How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7012
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a tenancy related question, I am a landlord Can you

This answer was rated:

I have a tenancy related question, I am a landlord
Can you help?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am a landlord, my tenant just left, I have inspected the property and am just about to pay him back his deposit. He is threatening me with court however as he has learnt that owing to being away / oversight, I did not deposit his deposit in a safe deposit scheme. 1. What rights do I have if any? 2. What are the likely fines? 3. What if I can't appear in person?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Is he suing you?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ready and waiting if you can give me an indication how it will take for you to call me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please answer the three points I sent by text meanwhile.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I spent 23 UK for a chat on line about this and then a further 42 Uk. I don't want to be a complaining customer, but so far I have had no helpful advice back whatsoever and no call at all? Would you be happy with this?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you able to help?

I can call tomorrow, is that ok?
I am just stuck on a train!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Great.... I am very stressed about this
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Please call me 0096596015304

You are not in the UK?

You have posted this in UK law?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My property is in the UK, hence the case is.

Ok - I think this needs to be kept online as the fee wont cover an international call - as Uk ones are free.

You wont be charged for the call if it does not take place.

Do you accept you didnt protect the deposit?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Ok - when did the tenancy end?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The middle of last week

1. What rights do I have if any?

You have to return the deposit within 14 days. The law says you should protect the deposit.

2. What are the likely fines?

You can be fined x3 the cost of the deposit.

3. What if I can't appear in person?

You can submit a statement in paper form. But if you are not there it's far harder to win. You will need to be represented.

But the issue is not protecting the deposit - the law says you have to.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Clearly if I am guilty I just write and say that what is there to win?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
If I get represented the cost of that will probably be more than twice the deposit at worst (1400)?

Its not a criminal Court it is civil. But the amount of deposit could be reduced.

The Judge has discretion from 0 to x3.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
But, under what circumstances do they impose the maximum penalty?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Can you speculate. I have no tra k record of being unfair?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Depends on the Judge. It is always a matter of discretion.

These cases are not report as it is a small claim - so nothing to go on.

99% of all cases are not reported.

So there are no statistics.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It tells I have to try and deal with the tenants solicitor / write to the court as going to UK in person will outweigh the cost. If you agree that is that then yes, you have given me the right advice.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will give you your star rating

Yes I agree.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Your website is slow here, you may get yes a few times as I try and send it.


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks to you too Jamie.

Cheers. Please do take a moment to press the 5 star button if you can

Jamie-Law and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you