How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11190
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My daughter and grandchildren are in private rented

This answer was rated:

My daughter and grandchildren are in private rented accommodation. There has been a problem with a leaking pipe in the garage which has caused water to penetrate under the floor in the kitchen and part of the living room. She was not aware of the problem until she noticed the floor was wet. It appears to have been going on for many months if not years and had nothing to do with anything she or her family did. She is paying £620 per month and has lived there since October 2014 and has always paid her
rent in full and on time. The landlady has now given her notice to leave (9th August) and is intent on commencing work to take up the downstairs floor and rip out the kitchen almost immediately requiring her to find alternative accommodation. She has also told a neighbour of my daughters about the problem and that she won't be returning her £600 bond.
Please can you offer any advise or information as to what rights if any she has.
Chris Blythe

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

If the Landlord does not return it then you can seek to recover the £600.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you