ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

We would like to know if we can have our gate swing both

We would like to know if we can have our gate swing both ways as we have access rights through next doors garden. The gate doesn’t touch there wall or path and is fixed to our post on our boundary.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Yorkshire
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just if we have the right

If you have a right of way over the access area as you state then the gate is permitted to swing both ways. This is part of the right of way and must not be obstructed by the other party. I hope that this helps and please rate 4 or 5 stars.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you is there any way we can have it in writing as our neighbour had obstructed the gate ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I don’t need to call I just want proof of what you told me!

I am a lawyer and I can simply point out that any obstruction of a right of way is actionable in court by way of an injunction and damages. You can get a local high street solicitor (we can not do this) to write a letter confirming this to your neighbours and the cost would likely by about £100 plus VAT. Happy to discuss and please rate 4 or 5 stars for my time.