LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

My mother's neighbours have asked if they could cut back her

Customer Question

My mother's neighbours have asked if they could cut back her tree, to the boundery, that overhangs their garden. This is not a problem but they have said it would then be her responsibility to dispose of anything they cut down. I accept that anything they cut down is technically hers but can they make her responsible for the disposal of the branches?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

They can chop the tree back if they wish. The law states that they must offer the cuttings to your mother but your mother is under no duty to dispose of the branches. If they cut down branches over hanging their garden then if your mother doesn't want the branches it is their responsibility to dispose of them.