Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am renting a place and have a clause in my rental

Customer Question

Hi I am renting a place and have a clause in my rental agreement stating that either myself or the landlord can give notice after the 6 month period. The landlord must give 2 months notice and i must give 1 months notice. I have informed my landlord giving her 2.5 months notice. My husbands mother has become very ill and we will have to move to look after her. I have had no proper letter from TDS stating that is where my deposit is but it is stated in the contract. My landlord did not inform me after 30 days in writing about my deposit being held by TDS. Can I use my deposit towards rent for the last month? Can i be assured that if I don't do this my landlord will return my deposit?
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: What is the best way forward without incurring costs to myself or the landlord. I also need the deposit to pay to assist with my sick mother in law.
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost £5 fully-refundable payment for a trial membership. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Hi I have contacted my landlord telling her about the news about my mother in law, who is very ill. And asked her about using the deposit or if not then allowing her to inspect the property so that if money has to be deducted we can sort out as soon as possible and i can get my deposit back as soon as possible. I am happy to pay the £5, what other costs would be involved?
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost £5 fully-refundable payment for a trial membership. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Customer: i have not talked to a lawyer as yet. How do i pay the £5?
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have re-read my contract and it clearly states that either the landlord or myself can give notice but only after the 6 months doing it before would be in breach of contract. I have messaged my landlord 5 days after the 6 months.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Does the agreement allow your deposit to be used as last month rent?