Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a question on an Assued Tenancy agreement.

Customer Question

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The head tenant on the assured tenancy is my sister, and i am named as the 2nd tenant. We had a short hold tenancy agreement from 1999 to 2005 when we asked for it to be changed to an assured tenancy which was agreed but my sister had to be the Head Tenant and me the 2nd tenant as we could only be joint tenants if we were married and as the agreement is for my sister and me this wasn’t possible. My sister left the flat a f ew years ago but we didn’t get the assured tenancy agreement updated. The landlord then changed and I forgot to get the agreement changed. Today, the landlord has emailed to ask who lives in the flat so I am worried he can evict me as my sister, the head tenant, no longer lives in the flat with me. Do I have a right to stay or can he evict me?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist you with your question but need more info please - also i apologise if delayed in replying

so you have been in this property since 1999?

this is a private rental and not through an agency?

when did the landlord change and who too if you know?

and has there been any problems with paying the rent since your sister left?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's private landlord. Sister and I moved in 1999 on assured shorthand tenancy which in 2005 we got changed to an assured tenancy. Sister is head tenant on tenancy and I am 2nd tenant. We could not be joint tenants as not married to each other! Sister moved out a few years ago and the landlord sold to another landlord. Nobody has asked who is at the property and I have always paid all the rent. Now the landlord is asking if my sister still lives there and I am concerned if I say she has left that I will be evicted.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can't talk on the phone
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 days ago.

I apologise for the delay getting back to you. I have had clients.

I’m going to opt out of this for another expert because although I thought I was sure of the situation, there is a nagging doubt in my mind. I would prefer someone else with more experience to look at this for you.

The thread is now open to all experts.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you. It is rather urgent so I would appreciate a quick response.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 8 days ago.
Hi,Thank you for your question.I am a Solicitor and practice in the area of Property Law.Would you still like assistance with this?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can't take phone calls.
Ok.Do you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy?
If so, What is the term?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I had already given all the info. I found out elsewhere what I needed to know so no longer need you to reply as it's too late.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 7 days ago.
Thank you and Good luck
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I see the expert has opted out - I can assist if required.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I no longer need assistance.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

Sure. Please do not reply, otherwise the system thinks you are stuck