How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11117
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I own a property and my ex wife has rented it out it solely

This answer was rated:

I own a property and my ex wife has rented it out it solely in my name ,what rights to evict tennants do i have.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: none yet
Assistant: Where is the property located?
Customer: wigston leicester
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: its solely in my name the ex wife remarried a few years ago .that is all

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

What type of tenancy agreement do they have please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im unsure as its her sister? i dont have the info
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i didn't even know it was rented as i have been living abroad

Ok. You can serve a notice to quit on the basis they are not YOUR tenants.

If they refuse to leave you can seek a Court order for possession.

You would need to complete form N5:

The Court will set the matter down and decide whether to give possession.

If the Court does and they do not leave, then you can send it bailiffs to evict.

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.