How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2479
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

I was thinking about how to gift a flat to my son without

This answer was rated:

Hello. I was thinking about how to gift a flat to my son without tax & legal complications. My son is under 18 yrs now. Can that be done?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: bucks UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How does this work? What is the costing?
Assistant: The Expert's answer will cost £10 to £100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Customer: OK. Let me think about the exact questions I need to ask and what information I need to provide to allow the expert to provide the advice. I have seen this now and will get back in touch when I have done as mentioned. THank you for your time. it looks like a good service. no

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am here to assist with your question. I will wait for you to put some more information then I will get back to you with an answer. Roughly how much is the flat worth? And is it mortgage free?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The flat is on a "Buy to Let" interest only mortgage with £300k outstanding today. It is worth £545k today. We wish to gift the flat (have our son take over ownership of the flat) in about 8 years time when he will be 23. We may or may not pay down some of the outstanding mortgage - but we wish him to own the flat as a step onto the property ladder but without legal complications or tax bills (if possible). Wondering if a trust is necessary or just able to "gift" a part of it over a number of years. So trying to think of the steps we need to take to achieve that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Disappointing that we cannot have a conversation given that it was your recommendation with so many advantages over the on-line chat. Is he able to call within the next few hours? Or I could call him.

Sorry the site offers the call automatically, not me, I wasn't actually even at my desk! I'm not going to be available for a couple of hours, can we pick this up this evening? Happy to call then if that suits. Just to make you aware the site does charge extra for the call.

Peter Collins and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks very much Peter. I am loathe to get you working on a Friday evening and would say that Monday morning is just as good although it would need to be 9 am to 9:30 am as I am travelling after that. Happy to do the call tonight though if that works for you. I will leave it up to you - just let me know your preference.

Hello - yes we can talk on Monday, no problem at all. I'll make a note and aim to call around 9am. Thanks and have a good weekend. Peter

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks very much Peter. Enjoy your weekend as well and speak to you 9am Monday.

Thanks, ***** ***** Peter